- Audio Conference DVD's and CD's:
Media Boot Camp: Essential Media Relations Tactics for Local Government Audio Conference Recording Price:
199.00 (U.S. Dollars)
As a local government employee you may find yourself in the uncomfortable position of fielding questions from the media. Whether it's a reporter calling about a controversial issue in your region, or a request for a one-on-one interview, you need to know how to answer reporters' inquiries while making the points YOU want to make. Join us for this 60-minute audio conference and gain the media savvy to:
- Develop strategies to be more effective when interviewed
- Deal with the media professionally and productively
- Identify the most common mistakes when dealing with reporters
- Utilize tactics to move away from topics you don't want to discuss
Will responding to tough media questions be your undoing or an opportunity for your organization to show leadership and excellence? Join us for a 60-minute audio conference with government communications expert Don Kappel, who will outline a strategy designed to help local governments communicate effectively with the media.
- Confidently Manage the Media - Even If It's Not Your Primary Job
- Keys to writing clear, concise, easily understood communications
- Know your "rights" with the media
- Do's and Don'ts for forming a positive relationship with the media
- When the News is Bad: From Routine Matters to Crisis Situations
- Clearly and effectively answer questions under pressure
- Avoid embarrassing mistakes during media interactions
- The biggest mistakes in media communication and how to avoid them
- But is it news?: Discover the 7 C's of what makes the news
- Managing Requests for Quotes
- How to draft different messages for different groups: What needs to be said
- Easy-to-use guidelines to give great quotes or sound bites
- Proven ways to appear professional and in control
- Delivering the message with tact and empathy
- Live question and answer session - Have your specific questions answered by an expert!
Don J. Kappel is Director of Public Affairs for Chesterfield County, Virginia. He is responsible for the county's strategic communications, media relations, community relations, employee information and county television and radio programming.
- Don Kappel served on active duty as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps for twenty years, retiring as a Major. He was a Communications Officer for 10 years and a Public Affairs Officer for another 10 years and served as Official U. S. Marine Corps spokesman in Washington, D.C.
- Don was an Adjunct Professor of Journalism at Temple University from 1989-1991 and also has taught English and Journalism at the high school and community college level.
Under his leadership, Don's department has earned more than 175 state and national
communications awards from many organizations, including: the National Association of
Counties; the National Association of County Information Officers; the City-County
Communications and Marketing Association; the Virginia Municipal League, the
Virginia Association of Counties and many other organizations for a wide array of
The speaker's PowerPoint presentation slides are included with your audio recording purchase. All materials are accessible through the Internet and can be downloaded as a PDF file.